Friday, April 27, 2007

Minor Adujstments.

Okay, I'm back. I have missed you all! Have you noticed my absence? Steve even asked me the other day if, in fact, I still had a blog.

So here it is. We are officially and completely into our *cute* rental. I say cute because it's quaint, charming, quirky, and utterly too small. So, it seems that *cute* is a suitable word.

So far, we have learned some things since having lived here over a week now:

1) It is altogether possible to wash your hands in the sink, sit on the toilet AND wash your feet in the bathtub all at the same time.

2) In order that the toilet may flush all the way, one simply has to hold the handle down for a count of 4. 1...2...3....4. Not 3. Not 5. 3 is not long enough. 5 is too long. 4 guarantees a perfect flush almost every time.

3) Living in town is louder. One may hear two trains, mating cats, barking dogs, sirens, cars backfiring and church bells ringing all in a matter of one hour; specifically, the hour between 3am and 4am.

4) It is not possible to fit our entire family in our kitchen at the same time. Seriously. I mean, I guess it's possible, but certainly not productive or comfortable in any way. With about 4ft x 5ft in which to work, I have become adept at washing the dishes, putting them away, answering the phone, and doing some light sweeping all in one full rotation. If you want to know where I keep my cutting boards, they're under the sink near the cleaning supplies. And where do I keep my pots and pans? Well..some under the stove of course but, yes, I do use that all-too-convenient space IN the stove as well.

5) You always have an audience. With neighbors just over 10 feet to our left and our right and a porch-sitting chain smoker across the street, we never get lonely. NEVER.

6) If you go to plug in a lamp and sparks fly out of the socket, don't panic. Don't continue to try to plug in the lamp either.

7) Smoke alarms placed RIGHT above the stove are a bad idea. Whoever came up with this particular *safety* precaution should be fired. In the name of sleeping toddlers and pregnant mothers who cook multiple times a day, this person should be shot. This house is 700 square feet on each level. There are about NINE smoke alarms.

8) One does not necessarily NEED faucet handles on the outdoor water spickets. Those are for high maintenence sorts of people. No, all one really needs is a metal stump and a wrench. And here I was, always thinking we needed handles.

9) If, before you move into a new place, there has been a *cute* spider's nest full of tiny baby spiders about to hatch, placed by some loving mother spider right at the bottom of the stairs, those babies WILL indeed find their way to the top of the stairs and out the back door. Don't worry. They will. It might just take a week or so. Just be willing to THANK GOD EVERY DAY that they are so tiny.

10) Children are happy in dirt. They love getting to count when they flush, the closeness of the colorful neighbors, the funny spiders going out the door, the *cute* kitchen (which spells very easy access to the fridge any time of day or night), and the sounds of town living. They don't care about sparks, or small bathrooms, or faucet handles. They are happy and content to be wherever our family is. And so am I.

Steve and I moved on Saturday and Sunday, laid sod in the entire backyard on Monday, moved more and cleaned more on Tuesday and Wednesday, had visits from Noni, Popi, some family friends, and Grandma, signed closing papers last night, and Steve just moved into his new office downtown (aka about three blocks away right on the main strip of town) this morning.

Tonight is Friday Night Family Movie and Pizza Night. I couldn't be more thrilled. Wizard of Oz, Mary Poppins and a little cheese and olive pizza are in our near future. This family is blessed beyond words and constantly given things to make us laugh and to make us grow stronger. We just have to remember that last part. Trials which are meant to strengthen us.

God bless and keep you all as well.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

YAY!!! One of my multiple daily clicks here has finally paid off! (Do you pay much attention to your site meter? I hope you don't think I've been cyber-stalking you! ;))

I love your description of your quirky little abode. I bet it's all been like one big adventure for your kids!

You've been working so hard! I hope you enjoy every minute of your wonderful, restful family time tonight!

He who wears the most black wins. said...

Melissa! It's been too long!

No, no, no. If you're a cyber-stalker, then that'd make two of us. ;) I always miss it if I don't hear from my favorite blogger friends for a while and I find myself "checking in" more often the longer the time that passes without blog entries.

Have a great weekend!

Celeste Creates said...

I am so glad you are back! Like Melissa, I click and sigh - sad to not see you back. :)) So glad you are all well and despite the idiosyncracies, seem to be able to make the best of it all.

God bless you!

Celeste

P.S. I forget. When is your due date exactly?

He who wears the most black wins. said...

Celeste-

Thanks. ;) My due date is the 2nd of July. Wouldn't it be nice if they could give me a time, too? Like, say, July 2nd at 2:20pm? Knowing me, it'll be more like July 9th.

One of our friends called me a "crock pot". It was only funny because his wife ALWAYS delivers at 36 weeks, having large, healthy babies. I suppose she's a "deep fat fryer"? "Pressure cooker"?

Christy said...

You guys are hard core!! So much going on. I am looking forward to seeing your new place.