Friday, February 08, 2008

This just in:

My baby likes binkies. Since when?! I don't know, but it's amazing to watch. He also has two teeth, crawls and tries to pull himself up. I wasn't prepared for it but it seems to be happening right before my eyes. He's growing up. Quite blatantly.

Since this is a Lenten Friday, we are headed up to the school gym tonight for family Stations of the Cross and a simple soup supper afterward. I have never looked so forward to simplicity in all my life. I worked out (with weights and everything!) at the gym yesterday and it hurt to walk down the stairs this morning. I am thinking simple is good. Very good, tonight.

Also, after reading Danielle's suggestion, we made a crown of thorns for our own dining room table. It was very cool to do with the kids and quite the teachable moment as we rolled out three long strands (representing the Holy Trinity), braided them, and placed toothpicks in the completed ring. It looks as authentic as dough and salt can and, as hypothesized, Ella is all over the good deeds. The boys are into it too but not quite like their sister. "Mom? Can I put that cup in the dishwasher for you? Mom? Can I clean the toys up for the baby? Mom? Can I unwrap that piece of gum for you?" 

Yeah, that's my girl. All about the rewards.
 
I have the Liturgy of the Hours, I have my Regnum Christi reflections for the day, I have my children to teach in the mornings, I have Stations of the Cross, I have a serious hunger for all things sweet. I am well on my way to mortification. 







2 comments:

Christine said...

The crown of thorns idea is great. I totally skimmed it over on Danielle's site, but now that I've read yours, Clare and I might make one tomorrow or so. Thanks.

Jill said...

Two teeth? Crawling? Have I been gone a year instead of just a week?! Wow. They do grow up too fast.
I'll have to check out the crown of thorns idea. Sadly, our Lenten activities have not amounted to much due to the upheaval here.
It's good to be back in the loop and I enjoyed reading all of your blogs entries I missed. I appreciate your honesty on the depression issue. You are one tough cookie!! That's why I love ya!!