Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Elizabeth Ministry.

I am thinking about starting an Elizabeth ministry in our parish. It seems that the need for something like this is just growing like crazy and yet we really have nothing to offer yet. My bible study/book club group is actually in another town and all the women except me attend the parish in that town. So, in an effort to fully embrace that fact that I live in THIS town, I think I should dive right in and start something here. In the words of Danielle Bean, "Mom to Mom, Day to Day".

Does anyone have any experience with this ministry? Is there a way to make it a little less formal (ie: not using all the manuals and videos per se, but just meeting once a month, praying together, and maybe doing a scripture study together?) I'd love some feedback.

Taken from American Catholic:

The goal of Elizabeth ministers is to emulate the example of their namesake—Elizabeth. "She's the first one in Scripture to recognize Jesus," says Hannemann. "So as Elizabeth ministers, our call is to recognize Jesus in everyone that we meet and especially the unborn child. And then our role is to encourage women—to encourage whatever God has given them at that point in their lives."

4 comments:

Christy said...

I'd never heard of Elizabeth Ministry. I think it is so neat that you have such drive and inspiration. The world needs more of you. I want to hear more about it if you decide to do it.

Melissa said...

You are so awesome. I admire you so much. Really, you are just incredible! I agree with Christy: "The world needs more of you." :)

Unfortunately, I have no helpful advice to offer. I seem to recall that our parish used to have an Elizabeth Ministry years ago, but I'm not even sure if it's still active. Maybe that's something I should look into, too!

God bless you and your endeavors!

Michelle said...

I was involved in the startup of an Elizabeth Ministry at my parish, oh, 8 years ago or so. You can do whatever you want with your ministry - custom tailor it for the needs of YOUR parish. We tended to focus on new moms - making meals, offering encouragement. Also comfort after miscarriages. And we only met once a month.

My girlfriend was the one who headed it and got the ball rolling. She is wihout email for the next few months (building a new house). If you have specific questions, just email me (my address is on my blog page) and if I can't answer it, I'll ask her and get back to you. We used to go and speak to other churches about setting up the ministry there. It's a great idea.

Jill said...

Keep us posted on this. I would love to hear how it works out. This is definately something I would love to see happen in our parish as well.
You have such energy!