Sunday, June 18, 2006

The Glue.

My husband. My beautiful husband is the glue.

Today, my husband, in an effort to support me to make this Father's Day really special, put up with my family and all our dysfunctional glory for FOUR HOURS on HIS special day. As I type this I am sitting here, feeling overwhelmed with love for Steve- overwhelmed that he continues to give of himself, of his time, of his peace even when he so clearly shouldn't have to. I love that about my husband. I am so sorry that I made him listen to me cry over yet another disappointment with my brothers, when he could have just as easily ( and rightly so I might add) been out on a lounge chair, having a icy cold drink and having some peace and quiet. I love him so much.

I love that my children have a father who takes his job as "FATHER" more seriously than any other job. I love that when they want a hug or need reassurance he is always there, usually squatting down so that they can see his beautiful and comforting smile. I love that he takes the time to listen to them. He listens and engages, never shooing them away as I can so easily recall, when reflecting on my own childhood. Even if he actually is too busy for them, he never says it. He never belittles them. He makes them feel safe, loved, special, wanted, valuable and important. He lets them be the little people they are without fear that he is constantly screwing them up or not putting enough "in" or taking too much "out", as I am guilty of doing, almost every minute of every day I have with them. He lets them be. He lets himself be. That makes room for God, who is the ultimate Father and the best Teacher of all.

I could not have picked Steve for myself because, all of the qualities that I thought were important or even "necessary" to have in a spouse, aren't. Steve has shown me that vibrant cheering can just as easily be replaced by a warm hand to hold. That athleticism will never compare to availability. That crying can be one of the sexyist things a man can do. He has shown me a world of manhood that I had never seen before nor will I likely see again. He is more than a man. He is my perfect husband. He is my children's perfect father. He is God's perfect son. He is the most gentle, intelligent, compassionate, generous, funny, life-filled, spiritually inspiring man I have ever known. His arms maintain the perfect blend of strength, enabling him to protect any one of us, and of softness, against which we can fall when we are breaking inside.

My husband is the glue. I love him. I honor him and strive to be more like him. He inspires me often and I have loved him from the moment I set eyes on him. Somehow, if it's possible, I am more sure of my love for him in the middle of an argument, after almost six years of marriage, than I was in the midst of pure ecstasy the moment he proposed. Is that possible? Because that's how I feel.

Happy Father's Day, my beautiful husband. Thank you for our three beautiful children. Thank you for you. Thank you for your love and your provision. You make it all possible, and for that I more grateful than you can know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, Nicole. You brought tears to a mother's eyes. Your talking about my son. My dear son, who has grown into a wonderful young man and loving husband and father. You see what I see. An amazing man who I have tremendous respect for.