Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Cedar River Genocide....I mean, Clinic.

Shepherd and I got in the car at a little after seven o'clock this morning to drive about an hour a half away to an abortion clinic. We met about seven other Catholics and Protestants outside and prayed like nobody's business. So much so, in fact, that they didn't get any business the whole two hours we were there! I had Shepherd in the bjorn on the front of me, both of us carried a rosary in our hands. Some held signs. Beautiful, peaceful, pro-life signs. This was not a demonstration. This was just another Tuesday outside the clinic.

We were invited to do this by a woman who has been instrumental in the pro-life movement in Yakima. She is under the umbrella of 'Human Life' and has been doing this now for about six years. She tries to organize groups of Christians to go and pray on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. They just had a save last week. The girl came over to them and broke down crying. This woman, now a friend, held that girl and told her that God was here with her now. If she'd let Him, He would walk right alongside her and she would never have to be alone again.

How beautiful.

Our message is not one of hate. It is not one of judgement. It is not one of violence, revenge or wrath. It is a message of hope. Of love. Of forgiveness. A message of life and of Christ.

The fundraiser dinner for Crossroads is coming up on Thursday night. I have really struggled with feelings of resentment-- resentment about how many Catholics (and Christians) SAY they are pro-life, SAY they care, SAY that their hearts break about abortion, about the stopping of a beating heart, and yet they do nothing. They are not willing to take the time, not willing to look silly or feel embarrassed by standing on a sidewalk, attending a pro-life banquet dinner, or even to just stand up for what they 'believe in'. I don't expect people to slap bumper stickers all over their cars, or stand in the street with blow horns. I just expect that when they are asked how they feel about someone murdering an innocent, tiny life that God created, they say, "It's wrong. Period. Jesus said so. The end".

Well, and if I'm being honest, I expect them to do everything they realistically can to educate others and to serve Him. A girl can dream, can't she?

David Bereit http://www.davidbereit.com is coming to speak at our fundraiser dinner. I am SO excited. Excited to meet him and to seek his counsel about what I can do around here to make a difference. An army of one? I suppose that's all it takes, right?

A final note; I cannot imagine how it must have felt, for those employees to walk outside of the clinic this morning, cigarettes in hand, seeing these same sweet, non-violent, sign-holding retired people that they are used to seeing and then looking over to see a new face. One, young 27 year old mother, with her happy baby strapped to the front of her, smiling at them and secretly praying for the day that they are walking right alongside her, like Miss Norma McCorvey, aka Jane Roe.

God works miracles. Every. Single. Day.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Eh, don't be too harsh on those who don't take time to pray in front of an abortion clinic. It's not the only way to be pro-life! I, for one, don't see myself praying in front of an abortion clinic in the forseeable future. I'm not ready to teach my school-aged kids about abortion...they barely know that sometimes mommies and daddies don't stay together (and they definitely don't know the word divorce). But my private rosaries remember the unborn and the poor women struggling to make the right choice. It's the best I can offer right now.

Melissa said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! It's such an important message. Your experience sounds so beautiful, so encouraging. In the past I've really enjoyed our annual Right to Life walk, which proceeds from one local Catholic church through the busiest part of town to an area park, where a Pro-Life rally concludes the day. We usually hold, like you, peaceful signs and sometimes sing or pray the rosary as we walk. It may not be much, but it does raise awareness.

I think it's great that you're getting involved, your fundraiser dinner sounds awesome--I'd love to hear what David Bereit has to say!

He who wears the most black wins. said...

Michelle:
Your private rosaries are EXACTLY what I am talking about--not that anyone has to stand outside a clinic to show they care. Just acknowledging it's a problem, a wrongdoing, and to do something, anything. Prayer is huge. Verbal witness is huge. It is standing for something. I highly doubt you would be ambiguous if someone asked you how you felt about abortion. Right? That's what I am talking about.

It is MY opinion that children are never too young to hear about injustice done to other children, or that some mommies and daddies don't take care of their babies very well and we need to stand up for those children, God's children. We should, of course, tailor our language to their age and emotional maturity. We don't need to make them COMPLETELY aware of what abortion is or even the word, for them to understand that we are there asking people to take care of all the babies of the world and to stop treating them like garbage. I want my children to know that they are called to care for those who are weaker than they.

Melissa: Pro-life rallies are hugely supportive! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I think they are so instrumental in raising awareness and a wondeful example to your children!! You're awesome--and your children will benefit from your conviction.

My blog is my space to write what I feel, say, think, and do. Obviously, I hope never to offend anyone, but also hope to have the freedom to just say exactly how I feel, the gut level truth.

Now...excuse me while I head off to confession for having serious sins of judgment....

Have a happy weekend ladies!! ...and thanks for your honesty, too. :)