Monday, September 04, 2006

Imaginative play and worldly contributions

For as long as I have been a parent (about 4 1/2 years now), I have thought that imaginative play was important, yes, but certainly not instrumental in character development. I just thought it was a good release from the day to day challenges of constant learning, memorizing, discussing, and then more learning. Oh, no, how wrong I have been.

I had a nice morning with the kids; organizing, laundering, cleaning, and baking blueberry pie. I told the kids that they were free to play with whatever they wanted, but that whatever they did it had to be together and without fighting--no small feat for a precocious almost 3-year-old and a sensitive 4-year-old.

It was beautiful. We made magic wands for Ella's princess costumes and looked all over the house for random items that could be used for 'tools' for Paxton's costumes, including Bob (the Builder) and Thomas ( the Tank Engine). They danced around, fixed things, put sleeping spells on each other and laughed so hard. Together. They laughed together, being amused by each other. It was then that I had a parenting epiphany.

My children need imaginative play for so much more than an outlet. They need it to develop courage, strength, and character. Courage in the face of adversity or despair. Strength to be who they really are, even if everyone around them questions their ability. Character to be able to laugh, to be light-hearted, compassionate, to be a light to those without character. What a beautiful thing to watch them develop those things that make us who we are.

Recently, I have had the opportunity to really contemplate what it is that I want my children to be, my goals for them.

To say that I want my children to be 'team players' sounds so corny. But, it's true. I do. I want them to see someone in need and not think twice about helping them. I want my children to have a sense of humor and be able to laugh together and with us. I want them to be independent and able to take care of their needs when they are older, but I want them to always feel the importance of family, of hugs, of talking and encouragement. I want them to give complements freely and without hesitation and to care about making others feel appreciated. I want them to say 'please', 'thank you', 'excuse me' and 'I'm sorry' like the phrases are going out of style--because excellent manners take you much, much farther in the game of life.

I want my children to love God and want to serve Him and please Him above all others. I want them to pray hard, work hard, laugh hard, learn hard, sleep hard, try hard, love unconditionally and give of themselves, always. That, my friends, is character. Being the best you that you can be.

Imagine the possibilities. Then, play.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Beautiful.

You've put into words what I've so often felt in my heart.

My kids would LOVE playing with your kids! Princess, Bob, Thomas...does it get much better than that to a four- and two-year old?

God bless you and your precious family.

He who wears the most black wins. said...

Melissa,

You free for a play-date on Thursday? ;) Wouldn't that be great.

Cheers-

Melissa said...

Sounds good to me!

That would be so awesome.