Friday, September 01, 2006

Are you sure I am qualified?

St. Rose school started four days ago. Since then, I have been at the school, at naptime everyday, working on getting invitations for our fundraising auction completed.That is on top of my usual Wednesday shift at Crossroads, having my mom visiting overnight, being at a candidate forum one night and having Steve be gone, in Seattle, two of those days.

How do you know you're overcommited? When you find yourself wishing you could get away with allowing your children a "Movie DAY". Not a movie night, or a movie afternoon, but a MOVIE DAY. Usually, Friday nights are 'family movie and pizza night', but today I really wanted a 'pajama, movie, pizza, chocolate cake, latte, silent children day'.

Must. Press. On. Must. Walk. Upright. All. Day.

I love that this is a three-day weekend and I love that a girlfriend and I are going shopping at the outlet malls ALL day tomorrow for school clothes for the kids. Ella isn't in school yet but, like Paxton, she, too, must be the clothing pioneer for the future girls in this family. I have carefully organized and saved ALL of the clothes for each sex into bins and labeled them. Can I tell you how much I love the fact that Steve can go out into the shed tomorrow morning and, because Shepherd is needing 9-12 mo. clothes, look up and see the bin with the corresponding size and grab it? I can then open it up and find AWESOME boys clothes that I haven't seen in, oh, about four years and be totally excited for Shepherd to have a whole 'new' wardrobe. Best of all? It's already paid for. Good thing I don't shop for or buy into 'fads'--else this whole plan of mine might not be so fruitful.

It's a nice weekend coming up. School clothes shopping, bbq's, play time at a friend's pool, Mass, and more work on auction stuff. We are so blessed to have lives that are wonderfully full with so many friends. I may complain about being busy but, at the end of the day, I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't work outside the home, so making sure we spend time with other families is really important to me. I want that to be modeled for my children. I don't have to leave the house every day or 'get a job' to get it, I just need to create it for my family and for myself--conscienciously create it.

So, there are days when I feel almost like Super Mom and there are days when I just wish it could be a Movie Day. Qualified to be a parent? I hope so.

Oh, exterminators came this morning and killed all of the Black Widows that have been mistakenly thinking that our home would be a perfect dwelling place in which they may procreate and become Overcommited Super Moms themselves.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow. I feel like such a slacker. In fact I feel exhausted just hearing about everything you've been up to!

I love your clothing system...I use the exact same one! A few weeks ago Darren came into the girls' room and found me sitting happily amid plastic bins and articles of clothing. "What are you DOING?" he asked me. "Going shopping!" I answered. There I was, surrounded by adorable little girl clothes, all free for the taking! I can't wait to get out the next size!(Meghan's still wearing 6-9 months).

Hope you all enjoy a safe and happy holiday weekend!

Celeste Creates said...

We are too scary. Same system here too! Love it! I just organized them all and cleaned out in prep for baby 4. It was fun to see all those cute things.

Happy weekend!