Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Engrossed.

I am engrossed. Currently, I am reading one of the best books I have read to date. One of my favorite authors, Scott Peck's beautiful work; "The People of the Lie: The Hope for Healing Human Evil". It is so good. I am learning. (Specifically that evil doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being possessed or the people you might only find in prisons.) I am learning and I am finding that all those psychology courses and that nifty major of mine is paying off. I might not be out in the work force but, darn it, I have enough clean up work to do right in my own family and extended families! When we live in the Truth, and let go of fear, we Live. Here's to endless learning and LIVING.

In another effort to live in the Truth, I am making major strides on the home front. This comes after a particularly disturbing and brief conversation that took place at our dinner table about a week ago. I was tired, which is no excuse but must be said. I am not proud.

Me: Okay, let's sit down and eat. Dinner's ready.

Everyone: Okay!

Ella: Can I have some water?

Me: ( as I get up to get it) **sighing** Yes. Hang on.

(Shepherd is screaming, sitting at his high chair, waiting to be fed)

Me: There. Oh, we need napkins. Hang on. (more sighing as I go back to the kitchen to retrieve the napkins).

...I'm finally sitting down so we can begin eating.

Paxton: Mommy, can I have some milk too?

Me: Argh! You know, I'd just like to sit and eat MY dinner for once! Is that possible?! It's not my job to always be serving YOU.



Okay. There it is. I had to make serious amends to Paxton later. That conversation has been sticking with me since then. I haven't been able to shake the fact that I said that to my son. I talked with Steve about it after the kids had gone to bed that night. I said, " I feel badly. You know, that IS my job. It IS my job to serve him. That is my vocation. It's my own small call to holiness. And here I am, complaining and whining about it. Getting angry and resentful at the kids for needing me so much." Steve just smiled and said, " I know. I thought the same thing." ( At which point I didn't know whether to keep my moment of humility in tact or get up and sock him between the eyes. Thankfully, I had a moment of grace and chose the former.) I knew what he meant, though. I knew that he was lovingly encouraging me to feel and explore a little guilt, a little attack of conscience, and to use it to improve myself. Not to wallow in it, but to make postive change. He just didn't quite put it that eloquently.

So, I have been saying a morning consecration. A prayer dedicating my entire day, my words, my eyes, my ears, and my duties to God. A prayer of thanks and of intention to entrust my children, my husband and myself to Him. To what He desires for us. I have also been making a much more conscious effort to say a prayer (thanks to Danielle Bean) to my childrens' guardian angels. A prayer of protection. Protection from me. I know, it sounds like I beat my children. I promise, I don't. It sounds like I run around screaming at them, chasing them with sticks. I don't. But, what concerns me is something that I have known for many years but something that I guess I never gave much thought until recently.

You can break children. Without ever touching a hair on their head. You can break them with inattention, emotional unavailability, being fearful yourself, witholding love and affection, and keeping God's beauty and message from them. You can break them.

God, with Your Love and Grace, may we not only not break our children, but may we build them up, with Your help, into spiritual, selfless, emotional, happy, loving, life-filled, truthful servants. May we always protect them from human evil, ours or others. May we do it with a spirit of Joy. The True Joy of selflessness.

I am currently engrossed in my family becoming a "People of The Truth".

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful book. Please blog more about what you think about the "People of the Lie." I am very curious to your opionions of it. Have a nice day, my friend!

Christy said...

Oh my gosh. Reading your blog brought up so much emotion for me. I have made very similar comments to my children... then I lay in bed and want to cry and hope that I haven't ruined them. I realize what a small percentage of my focus goes to the conversations that stream from them. How often have they talked for several minutes straight with me saying "umhm" but not having a clue what they are talking about... I love that prayer of protection idea. I don't do it enough. Thanks for the reminder. xoxo

Michelle said...

Ah...be careful! Children are stronger than you may think. You will not break them by having a bad moment, even if you do it twice a week for their entire lives. You are human. You have the right to be imperfect, and your children should not expect perfection from you.

No, you shouldn't snap. Yes, it is your job to take care of them. It is also your job to teach THEM to serve themselves and others. If your child is old enough to fetch things (the milk isn't too full, the napkins are within reach), then you need to send them to get them. You need to have them help you set the table with everything that is needed before the meal starts. You need to put a plate of food in front of the baby, and let him dig in so he's not miserable. And you need to ask everyone BEFORE you sit down if anything is missing.

Recommended reading: You're a Better Parent Than You Think by Ray Guarendi (Catholic father of 10, and a clinical psychologist too). It's all about how worries about damaging a child's self-esteem or scarring them for life will make you a tentative and ineffective parent.

Anonymous said...

I don't know a parent that hasn't wanted to snatch words from the air before they reach the waiting ears. No parent is perfect. We strive to be and that is what counts. The fact that you acknowledged the slip and are trying to resolve the problem is teaching the kids so much. Don't judge yourself too harshly.
Mom-in-law

Melissa said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. How I wish I could hug you right now! I, too, have said things to my kids that I have regretted the INSTANT the dreadful words escaped my lips. Like you, I always make sure to later apologize sincerely to them, but still, the guilt lingers. Sometimes being human hurts so dang much!

God bless you, Nicole, in your holy vocation of Motherhood!

Anonymous said...

whew. Sounds like you are on fire with the truth...and the truth shall set us free! You go girl.

(So try to remember, neverthless, you are only human and I promise you, you will err again. It's ok.)

Celeste Creates said...

I agree we are only human. But frail humanity can never become an excuse.

I could totally see myself in your description. It happens and I hate it. There is always a difference between disciplining a child and just being downright mean.

I also agree with Michelle in that we must teach our children to do for themselves - so important. Go get more milk. Choose your own piece of fruit from the fridge. Etc. Jacob and Nicole can do so much, as well as Andrew. Jacob makes all sorts of breakfasts and can fill cups for meals, among other things. They set the table, clear the table, wipe down place mats and table, vacuum, Nicole rinses dishes while I load the dishwasher. Andrew throws things in the trash for me, unloads silverware, etc. It can be difficult sometimes to have them help, but I know it will pay off.

While it is never ok to be mean to our children or anyone for that matter, it can always be a time for our children to learn about forgiveness and unconditional love.

God bless you. I am working on the same sort of thing myself. Prayers here for you. Same for me.

One Boys Mom said...

I think every mother I know completely understands your feelings on this issue. I totally agree with Mom of Four and think it is a great opportunity to teach about forgiveness. I straight out ask Declan for forgiveness at times. And it warms my heart when he asks me for forgiveness. One of my proudest parenting moments :)

The important thing is that you immediately delt with the issue and made amends. You're doing a great job!