Saturday, July 14, 2007

God's Grace: Our Roan.

We did it. We did it! Seriously, we did it!

Thank you so much, prayer warrior friends, family, and all those we love. As most of you will recall, my faith in this whole process was seriously faltering. I was losing all trust. I kept asking God why he was making me PROVE that I trusted him. I began to lose hope, even being willing to go into the hospital on the night of the 11th and have a little prostaglandin "nudge" to get me started. 

God is good. He is just so dang good. The morning of my birthday started out lovely, with breakfast, cake and cards. My mom got here around 11 and was such a lifting presence. When she got here, she started playing with the kids and helping out right away. My spirits were still down at the thought of being a "dud" and the fact that I might not be able to do this myself.

I knew that if I was going to go into the hospital that evening for a little nudge, I should rest. After Shepherd went down for his nap I got Curious George for the kids ( and Noni) to watch. I totally let go, relaxed and rested. Labor began.

I couldn't believe I woke up from a little cat nap in true labor. I didn't really trust it, but the contractions were stronger and varied between 3 and 7 minutes apart, slowing down only when I did. I just couldn't believe it.

I called the hospital to tell them I was in labor on my own now and we took our time, loading up, preparing, showering and I did a lot of praying. Prayers of thanks, mostly, and few requests for help and trust.

When we arrived to check in, my midwife was there waiting for me. God really blessed us with her. I cannot believe what a strong bond I felt and continue to feel with her--after having delivered three out of four of my children. They put me on monitors and she checked me. I was dilated 4 cm and was prepared that this natural labor might take longer than I thought. After being on the monitors for 20 minutes, we were free to walk and labor.

We walked, slow danced, Steve whispered in my ear, we walked. Noni walked with us, trying to stay out of the way and be supportive, but all the while I could feel her prayers on me. I could feel her presence. Steve was such an amazing "coach"--calm, gentle, strong, and faithful. He never wavered.

We went back up to be on monitors and for them to check me again. I was at an 8! They called the midwife. She was already on her way. Divine? Absolutely. Straight from God? No doubt about it. He just wanted me to trust Him. All along.

Sherry (our midwife) broke my water. We knew things were going to get intense and go fast after that. I had prepared myself for it and started saying some of my labor meditations and prayers. Things DID get more intense. They did NOT go fast though.

Pretty quickly, it became apparent to Sherry and me that something was wrong. The baby was posterior. This was going to be a little rougher than we thought. Let's just say, I owe everyone in that room earplugs. While Sherry tried to hold my cervix out of the way I tried to push. The baby just wouldn't come down. I tried to sit up, sit forward, lay back, lay on my side and rock. Sherry asked me to get up and get on all fours. At that point, I would have stood on my head if she had asked me to.

I rocked and swayed and screamed on all fours for what felt like hours and seconds all at the same time. (I've heard it was more like 30 minutes). I rolled back over and felt the baby move into position and drop from his stuck position behind my pubic bone. It was beautiful. I FELT it. It was painful and exciting and scary. I asked God why He had forsaken me. I couldn't do this anymore. I am not that strong. Within about a minute, our beautiful son was in my arms. I DID it. 

Roan Harrison made his entrance with One. Big. Push. It was amazing. It was just amazing. Christ Centered, difficult, powerful, and amazing. I would do it again in a minute. Or, a couple years. 

Grandma and Grandpa brought Paxton, Ella and Shepherd to meet their new little brother. Seeing them running down the hall toward us brought tears to my eyes. They were so excited, bringing presents, kisses and laughter. Paxton still wants to name the baby James. Ella keeps wanting to refer to him as a "her". And Shepherd likes to stick his fingers in the baby's mouth and eyes and give him kisses and "pats". 

We are a family. We are blessed. We have God's Grace with us always. We have our Roan.

7 comments:

Celeste Creates said...

What a beautiful story, Nicole! You are so blessed. I am so proud of you. You give me such encouragement and desire to eant to trust God as you did - in all things. I wish I had another opportunity to try to deliver as you did, but it seems I will have another c-section if we have another baby.

He is a beautiful baby!

You are going to do wonderfully and be blessed immeasurably!

You really did do it! To God be the glory.

Have a beautiful day home with your little family!

Jody said...

Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful baby boy and on making it through his labor and delivery.

Christy said...

I'm so happy you had the opportunity to do it the way you wanted! Thanks for giving us the story. :)

mom-in-training said...

Roan is an adorable baby! Your story is truly inspiring. You are a very strong, courageous woman! I am so glad to hear that God made the labor and delivery go so perfectly (minus the long delivery ;)). Congratulations to you and your precious family on your beautiful new son! God bless you all!

Jill said...

Thanks for sharing the story behind the beautiful photos. Praise the Lord for all of it.
Wow.

Melissa said...

Wow, Nicole. What a powerful account of an amazing birth experience! I'm so glad you wrote it all down now, while it's still so fresh in your mind. For us, but more importantly, for you...and for Roan. How incredible it will be for him and you to look back on years from now, and be able to FEEL the love and excitement present in every word! You are amazing. YOU DID IT! I am just so extremely proud of you and so very, very happy for your family. Praise be to God!

Michelle said...

Good for you!