Tuesday, May 01, 2007

St. Joseph and his beautiful wife.

Today is the feast day of St. Joseph the Worker, my husband's chosen confirmation name and his patron saint, my step-father's name, and the patron saint of fathers everywhere.

"He is that just man, that wise and loyal servant, whom you placed at the head of your family. With a husband's love he cherished Mary, the virgin Mother of God. With fatherly care he watched over Jesus Christ your son, conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit."

Today is also May Day, May 1st, the Crowning of Mary. May is Mary's month and that of mothers everywhere. Taken from the Magnificat - " The Blessed Virgin comes to generate in us the union that she experiences with the Son in her womb. Only this puts to flight all our crippling individualism and insularity. In Mary's face, in her voice, in her gaze we find what we have been lookng for amidst all the trying and frustrating moments of our life."

Afterall, it is through Our Mother that we have the Greatest Gift of all; Christ the Healer, the Good Shepherd, the Peacemaker.

Marian adoration and devotion are of great comfort to me these days. I feel so blessed to be able to call her Mother and to flee to Her for help when I am at my wits end, when I feel like I have no more love or patience to give at the end of the day, when all I want to do is whine about my aching back or my ever-swelling cumbersome belly. The Mother of all mothers.

John 19:26-27

When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son," and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Beautiful, Nicole. I, too, draw such great strength and comfort from Marian adoration and devotion. Our Blessed Mother has wiped many tears from the face of this often overwhelmed wife and mom! I am so happy that we get to devote this entire month to honoring her.

Happy feast day to you and your precious family!