Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Faceoff.

Well, it has finally happened. I have finally come head to head in a direct challenge......from my two-year-old.

Ella sat, buckled in her seat tonight at the dining room table for a little less than three hours. Until she finally fell asleep. Yes, it's true. Put down the phone. No need to call CPS. Well, I guess you can if you want to, but it would likely only save me from the insanity of having to reason with a two-year-old anyway. She wasn't screaming or even crying really. Just direcly refusing an order.

You wanna know what I refuse? I refuse to nurture a "picky eater". REFUSE TO. I won't do it. I have seen too many kids who "just won't eat that". Now, I can be reasonable. I won't force my children to eat liver, or raw onion, or endive, or even papaya if they don't want to. But something about carrot sticks seems pretty damn reasonable to me. ESPECIALLY SINCE SHE HAS EATEN THEM BEFORE. So....there she sat. And we'll do it all over again tomorrow night if we have to. I remember hearing my Dad tell a story about his mother doing the same thing with him involving broccoli. And he still loves her! Can you believe it? Did I mention that he eats broccoli now? AND LIKES IT?!

No one tests my will. I will win. You will lose. The end.

1 comment:

One Boys Mom said...

Give me a raw onion or papaya any day...but carrots? Yuk! Good luck with that. I believe you have a daughter who is as strong willed as her mother. (I know, I've been there. Sometimes it's frustrating when you realize your kid is sooo much like you)