Saturday, May 13, 2006

Happy Mother's Day.....

I am so excited for tomorrow. I don't know what we are doing for sure except of course for going to Mass in the morning and Steve is taking me out to dinner (our first date alone since Shepherd was born FIVE MONTHS ago) tomorrow night. That will be so awesome. I can't really even describe how much I miss my husband, especially lately for some reason. We spend so much time together, but often it is punctuated with wiping someone's butt or breaking up a fight or organizing, painting, cleaning, and reorganizing something.

This Mother's Day feels so special to me. I have not yet had this level of appreciation for mothers everywhere that I do now. Steve and I were talking about that last night. You really don't realize when you are a child or even young adult without children, just how much mothers do. It is thankless, without glory or accolades, devoid of raises or bonuses, and certainly grueling and exhausting some days. But, it is by far the best job I have ever had. Ever. I cannot imagine missing these years, or just not really caring about them. Here's to all of my mother friends.

I have a friend that gave a child up for adoption eight years ago, when she was quite young and unmarried. She sent an email to all of her friends today, some who know her story of adoption and some who don't, asking everyone to remember all those mothers who gave their children life, with or without raising them themselves. It was so beautiful and made me so grateful to all of those women who chose life for their children. So beautiful. My brother-in-law was adopted and two cousins were adopted. I highly doubt they regret it. :)

Oh, Dini caught a snake this morning. Well, actually Steve spotted it, told the kids to get away, they came to get me, Steve was trying to kill it with a big metal stick and then Dini thought he'd have a little fun "finishing him off". It was disturbing and pride invoking all at the same time. To see our Labrador Retriever, protecting our family, annihilating this slithering creature, keeping our children out of harm's way. Did I mention he shook it violently until he was sure it was dead and then he bit it's head off? It was fascinating. Ahh.....the country life.

1 comment:

One Boys Mom said...

Hope you had a great mother's day!!