Friday, May 26, 2006

long days and hard alcohol

You know it's a long day when you are instant messaging your spouse. Not because you miss them, no. But because you just looked up at the clock and realized that it is ONLY 3:30. You still have almost TWO MORE HOURS to go before you can actually say you are "done" with your day. Further, when do you know your spouse is having an equally long day? When he suggests that, to kill some time, you mix some drinks. Yeah, nothing passes the time like a mid afternoon Amaretto Sour. Why didn't I think of that? Good one Steve!

I have been doing stupid busy work all day, sort of chasing my tail around. I am trying to get ready for all of us being gone for seven days. Um, I have NEVER been an early packer. Try as I may, it just doesn't work for me. I can make lists, but that's about as much as I get done. I am not sure why. Either I am incredible disorganized, or I am SO organized that I don't really have to think about it much. I just do it. I am going with number two.

A friend of some friends of ours just passed away in his sleep the other night. He was 29. Steve looked at me the other night in the van on the way home, and said, quite frankly, "You know, we are getting to the age when people around us are going to start dying". I realize that seems comical, given we're only in our late 20's, but the fact of the matter is that if we can't embrace our own mortality, what will our lives have meant? If we walk around feeling invincible, then what is it that we will have accomplished? Certainly nothing of any depth. Conversely, if we are always convinced we could die tomorrow, we might also miss the opportunity to serve someone else, because we'll be so fixated on just eeking out that last little bit of fun from life that we can. Oh.....death. So common, so hard to embrace, so hard to understand. But ye though the rewards are great!

Only I could begin blogging about hard alcohol and boring days to the rewards of eternal life.

No comments: