Friday, December 08, 2006

Family days.

Thank you, Melissa, for sharing one of the most beautiful photos I have seen in quite a while.

This is a very special day. The day we get to celebrate when the Virgin Mary herself was conceived without sin, temptation, or spiritual turmoil. She was, quite arguably, the most perfect human being that ever lived. Wouldn't you choose her to give birth to your Son if you knew He was going to be the SAVIOR OF THE WORLD?

"For he has looked upon his handmaid's lowliness; behold, from now on will all ages call me blessed." Luke 1:48 (also part of the Canticle of Mary)

Mass was lovely today and the kids, for the most part, were well behaved. On Holy Days of Obligation we usually attend Mass in the school gym, since that 9:00am time seems to work the best for our family (7:00 is just a little too close to bedtime). We usually spring Paxton from his Preschool room and we all walk down the hall together for Mass. It's nice that some of the other parents do that too. I think the Preschoolers get an idea about what an important day this must be, if they get to be picked up by their whole family and hang in the gym together!

Our priest has been teaching the kids latin. Since he took over this parish, about six months ago, he has done wonderful things with the school. He is a former teacher himself and latin tradition enthusiast. All the kids in this little school now know the Lord's Prayer, the Hail Mary, and the Emmanuel in latin. It is the most beautiful thing to see a 6 year old saying the Hail Mary in latin. I wish my mind were spongy like theirs! It's a bit more like a pumice stone now, especially since pregnancy brain is in full swing. So far today, I have spilled a glass of milk, hit my head on the garbage can lid (don't ask), tripped over a blanket that was in plain sight, and hit my head again on the cupboard in the bathroom.

I will post later about our advent activities. These are really neat to do together. I just wish they didn't involve so much glue. It's so....sticky.

I WILL post pictures. I promise. It is not empty. I mean this. I will post them.

Friday nights are movie and pizza nights and I CAN"T WAIT. Mommy's ready for a teeny break.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Sounds like a perfect day! We're going to Mass at 5:30 tonight, and I'm thinking we'll pick up something fun for dinner on the way home. Have I mentioned before that I LOVE your family tradition of Friday nights being pizza and movie nights?

I eagerly await your pictures...no pressure, really! :)

Hope you have a great afternoon and evening. Pregnancy brain can be a very dangerous thing!

Christy said...

I grew up in a protestant church always assuming that catholics and protestants were nearly the same. I knew you all had more Mary...and also confession to a priest but now that I have been reading your blog I am starting to realize that Catholicism is VERY different. Reading your blog (and all of your blogger friends blogs)has totally opened my eyes...so interesting. I had no idea that today was a significant day of celebration. I love all of the sharing that you do!

You need to expand on the head/garbage can lid thing!

Mom of boys said...

I couldn't agree more with how special these family days are! My husband takes Holy Days off of work, we go to 8:30am Mass, and then head out for a special breakfast. We then enjoy the day together. I so look forward to these days, and today lived up to the expectations!