Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Leaving.

Oh, dear. It has already happened. It has already come to that point when my mom leaves, after having been here a few days and I have to sit and think. I think about how much she does when she's here, about how much my children adore her and love playing with her, listening to her read, listening to her sing silly, impromptu songs throughout the house. I think about how much I DON'T do when she's here because I'm just that comfortable. She did laundry, washed, dusted and organized.

My mom and I always make it a point to set aside time to argue about at least one thing, as well, while she's here. We just want to be as productive as we can. Nothing in particular, but just one thing. We get it out of the way and then we move on, having hashed, rehashed and "heard" each other. I think another thiry years of this and we will have finally resolved every issue we've ever had.

Now that I don't have a Noni to distract I have to pull other tricks out of my hat. The kids are now each having "bedroom time" so I can get a few things done before dinner and this evening's Advent activities.

Last night's Advent activity was to go outside and enjoy the night sky. Daddy bundled the kids up and they lasted about five minutes and found 2 stars. The focus was on Psalm 148:3,5 "Praise Him, sun and moon! Praise Him, all you shining stars! God commanded, and there you are!" Dear God, thank you for being the light of the world. Amen.

Tonight we are going to read Psalm 8:3-4, " I am overwhelmed when I look up at the heavens and see the stars Your hands have made. It is amazing that You even think about me!" Dear God, Your world is so big and I am so small. Yet, You know me and give me everything I need. I may not always understand it, but I am grateful. Amen.

We'll make a star ornament for the tree tonight. And, yes, the pictures are coming. I promise. Just as soon as Steve gets around to it.

I went to my volunteer shift today, like all Wednesdays. Mom stayed with the kids, picked Paxton up from Preschool, took the kids to McDonald's, brought them home, colored, read, gave naps and finished more laundry. Usually I take the kids with me and we are rushing and I'm "shushing" all day long. Today, I came home to a beautiful house and happy children, much different than the exhausted, crankiness that usually follows a day when Mommy "works". It was so wonderful.

What am I going to miss the most about Noni? Wicked games of gin after the kids go to bed, too much laughter, and plenty of sarcasm to get me through until the next time we meet again. Thank you, Mom, for getting me. Thank you, Mom, for your beautiful sense of humor, for rarely taking yourself too seriously, for lightening my crankiness with a wink and a colorful remark, reminding me that I am taking myself WAY too seriously. Thank you for loving my husband as your own son, for talking to him, laughing with him, teasing him, and folding his underwear. Thank you for making the effort. All the time. Even if it means we're going to fight sometimes. I love that about you. Fearless communication. Advice, complements and strategies. Thank you for those priceless, beautiful gifts.

What my kids are going to miss the most about Noni? Baths with lots of bubbles and laughter, singing and dancing in the middle of the floor, or snuggling slumber parties and story telling. Hard to say which makes the biggest impression. One thing is for sure, though. After Noni leaves we are all changed just a little more. And we thank her for her influence.

Now, if we could just get her to stop having surgeries and such lengthy recovery time, we wouldn't have to wait so long in between long visits. Although, my Nana always had a saying which she has passed on to my mother; "Guests are like fish: after three days they start to stink."

We love you, Mom. Even if you stink.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

You are so lucky to have such an awesome mom...and she is just as lucky to have such a beautiful and loving daughter. God bless you both!

Celeste Creates said...

What an absolutely charming post! I love your mom and I haven't even met her. Someday it would be a blessing to meet you both!

Have a happy Thursday!

Anonymous said...

This is me, mom, and I am sobbing like a baby. What an incredible gift you have for the written word, my love. You touched my heart, deeply. Thank you. Thank you, thank you. And, the feeling is mutual!
I love you so much.

Jill said...

Now I'm desperately wishing for a visit by my mommy! I feel just the same as you about her visits, and each time there is a baby (or a miscarriage) she is right there beside me. I can still feel the warmth of those first days out of the hospital after birth- my mom cooking dinner, snuggling my babies, and taking care of me- her baby. Ah, your post was beautiful and full of love. What a bond between mothers and daughters.
And isn't it one of the most marvelous things that when we become mothers we bestow the gift of 'grandparenthood' on our parents? I love that. I love seeing it unfold in my life, and as so beautifully described in your's.