Thursday, December 21, 2006

March no more.

" I love you SO much."

That's what Ella leaned in to say to Paxton as they were playing a game together on the computer tonight. So, maybe my efforts to foster strong emotional connections haven't completely failed. Or, maybe she just wanted to get as close to him as she could so she could snatch the mouse out of his hand without any warning. Either way, I'll take it. Either way, Paxton got to hear "I love you" tonight from someone who's usually telling him he can't be her best friend anymore. Progress. We're making progress.

This last week of Advent activites has been really nice. It's mostly been discussions which, while daunting at first, are really painless now. The kids really seem to be able to close their eyes and imagine the picture we are creating with words, to put themselves in those shoes and to summon compassion. I am really loving our talks at the dinner table with the Advent candles glowing, lighting up their eyes.

We've talked about the wise men and their gifts. About what gifts we can give Jesus. We've talked about it being better to be rich in who we are than in what we have. To be rich in blessings and to have real treasures. We've talked about heavenly treasures and how they are much different than earthy ones.

And tonight? The world's best Gift. 2 Corinthians 9:15. "Let us thank God for His priceless gift". There is not enough money in the world to replace a priceless gift. What makes Jesus our priceless gift from God?

I am finding myself more and more excited about Christmas and this upcoming weekend spent with family; relaxing, playing and laughing by the fire. I am letting go of all the stress of the last three weeks. I decided that my childrens' December birthdays will never be blown over or rushed through. They will always have their own birthday celebrations, with no Santa Claus anywhere in sight. In order to accomplish this goal? I'll be starting to plan for their birthdays in September. Okay, that's a little ridiculous, but at least by November. Less stress for Mommy, more fun for the whole family!

Oh, and one more thing. Steve and I are never having sex in March again.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a blessing to your family. What a wonderful, rich experience you and Steve have created for your children. How special you have made this advent season. Perhaps you can continue on with predinner enlightenment long after advent has past.

As far as the 'no sex in March' thing. I couldn't be happier. It's so much easier for 'Noni" to camp out with the kids in the non-holiday season.

Christy said...

LOL!

Melissa said...

I snuck a quick peek at your blog tonight while I was at work and somehow didn't connect the title of this post to your very last sentence until just now. You crack me up!

Seriously, though, I think it's wonderful that you pay such special attention to your children's December birthdays. They deserve it! My mom and her twin brother were born on Christmas Eve, and with seven other siblings I'm sure there were times they felt a little cheated! But I always try to help my mom keep her birthday distinctly separate from all of the other Christmas celebrations, and now hope to do the same for Meghan. I think we're off to a great start!

Jill said...

:) May seems to get us, as all of our kiddos were February babies.
What a good laugh I had today.
We're heading up to Minnesota for the Holiday season, so I'll be out of commenting mode for awhile. Merry Christmas. Talk to you in the New Year!

Michelle said...

My husband and I have always avoided sex in March just because of that! My grandmother had 9 children - all of them born in a different month and none of them born in December! That's my goal.