Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Busy days. Busier nights.

Why is it that, when Steve is out of town, I start wishing that my children's bedtime could be 5:30? A girlfriend of mine and I were recently talking about this strange phenomenon. Our husbands can be out of town for one day, five days, or twelve days. Because, you see, the days don't matter. The only things that matter are those wretched hours between 5:00 and 8:00, the nights. Just three hours? No, it can't be that bad. Well, I'm here to say it IS that bad.

Shepherd is crying and has been for 20 minutes. Ella doesn't seem to understand that I am not available to do the potty dance AND get her the glass of water that she has been asking me to get her for the last 4 minutes AND share in Paxton's excitement about having found another missing train that he thought he had lost in the abyss of his closet AND try to figure out why in the hell the baby is crying. Does it sound like I am whining? Well I am.

We painted the house today. It looks great and I love that it looks so clean around here. The kids decorated Easter Eggs at Grandma's house today and had a blast. Although I must admit, I was secretly hoping they would come home MUCH more exhausted than they were. :( That is usually always a bonus of staying at Grandma's. They did sleep in the car on the way home, but it's almost as if that actually caffeinated them and made them higher than kites when we got home. How is that possible?

I am pretty sure Shepherd is teething. Two days ago I thought it was a growth spurt. Now I think it's teething. For some reason, I feel the need to put a label on every baby's crankiness. It could just be that he's irritated with this family and finally realized that he's sick of this crap and wants the hell out. I certainly can't blame him. I just ask that if he goes, he takes me with him. We wouldn't have to tell anyone where we were going. I don't know how far we'd get since we'd have to stop for 20 minutes every three hours to eat......maybe we'd make it to Warden before they caught up with us.

Steve is being baptized this Saturday night as Easter Vigil Mass. I don't want to sound like a complete sap, but I could gush buckets full of tears. I cannot believe the spiritual journey he has taken. I cannot believe that the man I married is taking on the faith leadership of this family we created. I cannot believe how amazing and strong he is, yet somehow he has the ability to see right through my heart and our childrens' hearts. How can I tell him how amazed I am by him? How excited I am that he is now going to be Catholic WITH me and our kids. How I will now look up to him, asking his advice and support. This makes our marriage complete. After five and half years, this is the last piece of the puzzle on which we can FULLY build our lives together in every way. Thank you Jesus. Thank you Steve. I love you.

1 comment:

One Boys Mom said...

I'm so happy for you and your other-half, you're such a good fit. It's great to see that you don't take any of this for granted. You're so humble and thankful for all you have and that's part of what makes you such an amazing person!