Thursday, November 09, 2006

Lazy days

Daddy is gone today. He had to be in Seattle all day to work. So, naturally, the kids and I are still in our pajamas. We have played, watched Cars (the best movie ever!), and made sandwiches together. I have no plans for us to move from our pajamas to regular clothes ANY time soon. That's just the way it is.

Don't be misled. It's not really just because Steve is gone that we are living like this. Although, it does make it even more justifiable. No, we are in our pajamas because we have been since Saturday night, after the auction. With the exception of getting dressed for Mass on Sunday and my volunteer work yesterday, we have not even been out. We're not sick. We're not tired. We're just.....relaxing. I should clarify that Paxton has been getting dressed for Preschool. That seemed important.

I haven't done it in about three months. I'm doing it now. This post auction and election relaxation feels pretty darn nice.

The auction went SO well. My mother created a gorgeous charcoal drawing of our Queen of Peace that fetched $1,700. Steve's mom made a beautiful Noah's Ark quilt using the 4-year old preschoolers handprints to create the animals which also fetched $1,700. Our Mediterranean dinner went twice for $1,800. So, all in all, Team Prentice and family did pretty well for this little school. The decorations turned out really well and a lot of people commented that it was much more elegant this year than in years past. It was a ton of work, I learned a lot about myself, I am glad I have that experience under my belt, and I can now say with complete certainty, I am never doing it again. My parents used to use the saying, "there are too many chiefs and not enough Indians". I don't think I need to expand.

I am disappointed, to say the least, in South Dakota. Not shocked, but disappointed. I really am. I was really thinking something else might happen there. I am really trying to stay upbeat and be grateful that an abortion ban was even ON the ballot. Baby steps. Pun completely intended.

In my laziness this week I also finished my Uncle Jim's new book. It's amazing. I HIGHLY recommend it. Fair Play: The Moral Dilemmas of Spying. Buy it. Check it out. Read it. (Melissa, I bet Darren would LOVE this book). His full name is James M. Olson. He's the former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence and is a current professor at George Bush School of Government and Public Service at Texas A&M University. He collaborates with some pretty amazing sources in this book and talks about real life experiences that he had while in the field. I am so proud of him and proud to know and love him. He embodies the true meaning of patriotism.

Does anyone find that the more times you are pregnant, the more you forget what's supposed to be happening at different points or even how far along you are? When I was pregnant with Paxton, every day felt like an eternity waiting for this new, beautiful someone to enter our lives. This time around? I am finding myself wishing I could just be pregnant a few more months. There is so much to do and so little time!

Now I think it's time to go make some cookies. In our pajamas.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the cookies! :)

Although, maybe I shouldn't have any after I just had Thai food for lunch.

Love, Steve

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you are getting some well deserved relaxation time.
You are right, the auction was a tremendious success. We are very proud of all your hard work and may I add, you looked beautiful...
Your hubby looked great too...
Enjoy the R&R....Love Me

Anonymous said...

I think I can safely say that Team Prentice and family are very proud of how you helped the auction be successful. You deserve a PJ day with your kids. Enjoy it.
Mom-in-law

Celeste Creates said...

I like the pajama idea - sounds so great. We are worn out ourselves and could possibly use some days like that.

It is true ho wmuch you forget by preganancy number 4. This time around I can barely remember what week I am on. I never pick up my pregnancy book! And of course it is all flying by so fast. Especially as the holidays approach. Thanksgiving, then Christmas and Nicole's bday in February! Then baby will be here! Aaaaaah

I hope you are feeling good

Unknown said...

Melissa pointed out your blog and I enjoyed reading it, sure wish I could hang out in pj's all day!!! Sounds very well deserved, and congratulations.

So Olsen's your uncle? That has to be really interesting - I'll have to read the book. I really enjoyed Bob Bauer's book on his time in the CIA. With Gates moving up, any news that your uncle might become, shall we say, a bit more known at the White House?

Take care and enjoy the kids - that's really what it's all about anyawy, huh!?

Anonymous said...

Hooray for P.J. Days. They're the Best. And congrats on doing so well at the auction and getting it behind you.

Remember..."Just say NO!"

Melissa said...

Can I just say that I wish we were neighbors? :) Every time I read your blog I feel like I'm sitting down to visit with a longtime friend!

I'm so glad you are enjoying these lazy pajama days. You certainly deserve them! Congratulations on such a successful outcome with the auction! It sounds amazing.

You're right about the pregnancy timeline...I have no basis (yet!) to judge with a fourth, but I know that even with Caitlyn, and especially with Meghan, everything was SO much different than with Dylan. I laugh now to remember the long summer days I'd spend laying around watching episodes of "A Baby Story" on TLC, copies of "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and "Your Pregnancy Week by Week" nearby for quick reference. Things sure are different when you've got other little ones demanding your attention all day long! What a blessed time you're enjoying right now...baking cookies in your pajamas, looking forward to meeting your new little one...these days pass so quickly. Enjoy every minute of them!

P.S. I think it's so cute that my hubby beat me to commenting on this post! :)

Anonymous said...

It has been two days since your last blog...I am ready for more. You are so much fun to read. :)