Saturday, November 25, 2006

Onward and upward.

Today has been a great, somewhat lazy day.

We just got back a little bit ago from a long hike with the kids. It is always so much fun to do that. I wish I were motivated to do it more often. I think it's that whole getting the kids bundled up part that intimidates me. After that, it's quite fun though. So, I need to just suck it up. If not for anyone else than for Steve, who is like a kid in a candy store when I'll agree to go on a nature hike.

This morning, Paxton, Ella and I got the tree up. We haven't decorated it yet since we have some fun activities planned for that throughout advent. We got the creche set up, sans the Holy Family. I am really going to have to remember where I hid them. I told the kids that Mary and Joseph will be there by Christmas Eve and that Baby Jesus will be there Christmas morning. Then we'll sing "Happy Birthday" and eat birthday coffee cake. That would be a real bummer if I lose the Holy Family. I better write myself a note.

We also did something fun and new this year. Yesterday, we bought a gingerbread house kit. The kids, Steve and I decorated it before naps. It was SO much fun. Initially I was fixated on it looking perfect. Then I realized that I had a 4 and 2 year old decorating with me. I snapped out of it and I just let them have fun. Ella kept choosing the tiniest pieces of candy to shove into the frosting so that all the frosting would ooze around it and onto her finger. So cute. Paxton loved the orange pieces. I think if he had his way, we would have had an orange gingerbread house with a splash of orange for accent.

I have been making turkey and brown rice soup in the crock pot all day and it is really starting to smell like winter around here. I absolutely love this season. I love the excitement, the chill in the air, the lights, the songs, the excuses to do fun and silly things as a family, sending out beautiful Christmas cards, going to Mass and seeing all the gorgeous colors in the sanctuary. I love it even more now that I have children. I get the first crack at forming what they understand this season to be. It isn't about presents. It isn't about what you get. It's about what we get to celebrate, what we get to give.

Steve and I decided last year to limit the kids' outside gifts to just three each. ( One from my dad, one from my mom, and one from Steve's parents). Obviously resembling the gifts of the wise men, we just thought each gift would have more meaning. I know that it's hard for our families. They have been respectful for the most part and I know that it will get easier with each passing year, especially since we'll likely have a few more children and those three gifts will add up quite quickly. With a big special gift from Santa, stockings filled by Santa, and one special gift from Mommy and Daddy, I really think they'll be okay. For further explanation see this post.

Shepherd and Ella both have birthdays coming up very soon. For Ella's first birthday, Mom, Steve's mom and I made an adorable snowman cake. This year, for Shepherd's first birthday, and I am feeling inspired by The March of The Penguins. :) Ella has requested a pricess birthdy party with a Dora cake. I am trying to figure out if I'm good enough to do one myself. Stay tuned...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Children make the holidays exponentially more wonderful. They bring out the emotional memories from my childhood...ahhhhh. Magical. I'll be curious to hear what activities you have planned for christmas tree. Keep us updated. :)I need some creative input.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Team Prentice had a wonderful day! From those days, memories are made. I always look forward to tunning into your blog and learning of your adventures. It's like reading a good novel..you don't want it to end.

Celeste Creates said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! I love how you limit the outside gifts. I am not sure how we would do it though with all the different family members that want to give. I hate to tell them no so instead I ask them to seriously limit it! It is hard either way!

I can't wait to here about all you guys do as the season progresses!

Many blessings!

Melissa said...

This sounds like such a perfect weekend. Everything about it. I love that you made a gingerbread house with your kids. The inner perfectionist in me has always been a little bit too intimidated to try, but after hearing about how much your family enjoyed it, I just may have to change my mind!

Wouldn't it be so much fun if we could have combined first birthday parties for Shepherd and Meghan? :)

Anonymous said...

Hooray for the new Prentice Peanut! Well said, it is amazing that people don't view them as Children. When you want a child, you view them as a child from the moment you find out you're pregnant.