Sunday, October 07, 2007

While we were gone....

...my sweet 11 week old baby rolled over. At Grandma's house. WITHOUT me around! Bittersweet. Oh, so bittersweet.

Steve and I have been trying to go on "dates" on Saturday nights for a couple hours. We always take Roan, of course, since he's rather attached at times. Quite literally.

We had been invited to an auction. It would last about five hours. I had been pumping a little extra milk and had about 14 ounces. I, of course, have no idea how much Roan eats in the evenings but know that he turns into little "cluster feeder" at the end of the evening, eating almost every hour--from about 6-10pm then promptly falls fast asleep until at least 7 the next morning.

I left all that milk with Grandma, gave her the general outline of his schedule and left my happy, social baby to play with his Grandma for 5 hours. In the back of the van, Steve had packed my "Pump in Style"/two cups and hoses attached to a massive suction structure, thereby making me feel much like a dairy cow. I joke, but that little baby has been such a gift from God. We are going on almost four years and going strong! It took us going through two cheap pumps to finally get a clue that we needed to just spend the money and buy something of quality that would really last.

I digress.

We left. We had a great time. We got back to Grandma's at almost 10:30. Roan was asleep and almost ALL that milk was gone. I had NO idea he ate that much in the evenings! He was sleeping so contently and Grandma really seemed to enjoy her time with just him. Usually, if she watches them she has the older three and Roan goes with Mom. 

As we were walking in the door to pick him up:

Grandma: He was great. 

Us: Oh, good. He's sweet isn't he?

Grandma: Yeah, we even got to see him roll over.

Us: WHAT?!

Grandma: Yeah, I didn't know if that was something he had done already but he was playing on the floor and just rolled over.

Me: That's why I felt so good about not having my kids in daycare!  So I wouldn't miss those things! 

We laugh together.

I am so glad that if Roan was going to roll over on someone else's watch that it was Grandma's watch. I hope this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship. 

I just have to remember that when I think he might be close to crawling I need to stay home.
For good.




2 comments:

Jill said...

What a little prodigy! I'm glad Grandma got to see it.
My Henry is quite the cluster feeder at night as well. Same thing as Roan...but not quite the stellar night performance, though. (But, not bad either!)
I have never been good at pumping and gave up all together when 3/3 of my first three children refused to take bottles. Henry doesn't even get to try. ;)

Melissa said...

Oh, no! I can't believe it! How lucky, though, for Grandma! :)

And great job with the pumping! Isn't it amazing to see how much they're actually eating?! I cracked up at the description of feeling like a "dairy cow". I have the same pump, which I bought when Dylan was a newborn. I remember the days when I first started working at the hospital, and on my lunch breaks I would sit in our locker room "hooked up" under my shirt, eating with one hand and just chatting away with my best friend, who would eat in there with me to keep me company! Luckily, we were both moms and postpartum nurses...breast milk didn't phase her one bit! :)