Thursday, August 10, 2006

Socials.

Okay, it's been three days and Team Prentice is still going strong. We have been getting up at 5:30, showering, making coffee, reading, praying and tackling our days head on. So, I know three days is only a drop in the bucket but, it's a start. It's a strong start. Steve commented just a bit ago that it seems like we aren't snipping at each other at all with this new schedule. We are both rested and feeling like we have a purpose; our marriage and our respective vocations. I have a feeling that God's hand is in all of it, right down to me playing catch with the kids at 7:00 this morning instead of my usual walking around the house, having other priorities like laundry, cleaning, returning phone calls or finally showering. I am really happy with the way our days have been. Long, but so much better and more positive.

Tonight we are headed to our neighbor's house for a "dessert and ice cream social" for the entire block. Honestly, I'd really prefer a fresh cucumber social or a strawberry and cottage cheese social or even a quiche social. However, they didn't ask me. So, I suppose I will take my brood, my refrigerator log and my lawn chair and shut up. I'll try to choke down a little bit of all the 13 or so desserts and the homemade ice cream. Whoa.

I started using fitday.com to track my calories, activities and goals. It's a wonderful tool that was given to my by my endocrinologist and I am so glad that I started using it. One problem? You have to be rigorously honest about every. single. thing. that goes into your mouth, so you are painfully aware that, by 4:30 you have about five hundred calories left to work with. Hmmm. Five hundred calories? Homemade ice cream and desserts? Well, I guess I'll be taking along one of the kids sippy cups as well then. Maybe just the lid.

On the upside, I am looking forward to directly confronting the eight or nine neighbors that habitually drive right on by our house, every day, never waving back at either my children or me when we are in the front yard. How rude! Okay, so I won't be confronting them but maybe just trying to burn holes into them with my eyes. Or, I guess, better yet, I could try to be nice to them and see if maybe they'll start waving from here on out. Yeah, I suppose that would be the more "christ-like" thing to do. How dull though. Ice cream social just screams cat-fight, don't you think?

4 comments:

Michelle said...

My sister has been keeping a food journal for OVER A YEAR. She hopes, one day, that she won't have to do it anymore...but for now, it has been the key to her successful weight loss (over 120 lbs!!!).

Maybe your neighbors are all shy??

Hope you met some nice people.

Anonymous said...

be careful you don't make food (or lack of), your appearance (or what other's think of your appearance) your higher power......

He who wears the most black wins. said...

I think I'm alright with that Higher Power part. :) Thanks.

Anonymous said...

fitday.com sounds so great, thanks for sharing. What a good way to make sure you don't only over eat or undereat. I've always struggled with both. It also sounds like a great way to get a birdseye view of what we put into our mouths. I do so much of that subconsiously that sometimes I have surprised to find what I'm looking for in the cupboard is gone.....eaten by me!!!
mom